Blackburn with Darwen is a Full Service Universal Credit area. Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people in or out of work, which merges together some benefits and tax credits. You may be able to claim Universal Credit instead of certain benefits if you’re on a low income or out of work.
Universal Credit replaces:
- Housing Benefit
- Jobseekers Allowance
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Working Tax Credit
- Child Tax Credit
Universal Credit must be claimed online and your claim will be managed via an online journal. You will receive all communication from your work coach via your journal so you must check it regularly.
If you have difficulty in using a computer and/or accessing or using the internet help is available at the following locations:
- Blackburn Library 01254 661221
- Darwen Library 01254 706021
- Audley Neighbourhood Learning Centre 01254 507720
- Bank Top Community Centre 01254 581175
- Livesey Library 01254 209442
- Mill Hill Library 01254 266380
- Roman Road Library 01254 682347
- Darwen Resource Centre 01254 226360
Children in Universal Credit-claiming families with net earnings less than £7,400 will be entitled to free school meals. If you wish to apply for free school meals, please do so via the Blackburn with Darwen website.
If you need help or would like information about making a claim, please contact them via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 01254 585585.
Universal Credit have also provided a series of videos on YouTube to assist people in making a claim using their online system.