Numeracy – often alternatively called ‘mathematical literacy’ – is a life skill. It means having the confidence and competence to use numbers and other mathematical skills in areas of life.
At Blackburn Central High School students in Year 7 and Year 8 have been involved in an I Spy Numeracy activity where they identify what numeracy they have learnt or used in a lesson and with which teacher.
At the end of each week a raffle takes place and three members of staff will receive 1 of 5 exclusive badges.
Congratulations to the following who have received their first badges:
- Miss Shuttleworth in English for Calculating a ¾ of an hour.
- Mrs Marshall in Design Technology for symmetry and 3D shapes.
- Miss Rossi in Geography for working out how to navigate a 1/3 on a relief map.
- Mrs Cahill in Geography for using split bar charts (compound bar charts).
- Miss Haworth for drawing shapes in textiles.
- Mr Robertson for using percentages in ICT.