Firework Safety


Hundreds of children are injured in the lead up to bonfire night on 5th November; especially boys aged 12 to 15.

Fireworks are dangerous if not used properly, and over half of firework injuries are suffered by children. Fireworks are not toys and should never be handled by children.

  • You have to be 18 years old or older to buy fireworks
  • It’s against the law to possess fireworks if you are under 18
  • Never play with fireworks they are dangerous
  • Only adults should handle fireworks
  • When watching fireworks always stand well back
  • Pets are scared of fireworks so keep them safely indoors
  • Ware gloves when using sparklers, hold them at arms length and only use one at a time
  • Sparklers get five times hotter than cooking oil and should never be given to children under five
  • Even when a sparkler is out it can still burn you so DON’T TOUCH IT
  • Put used sparklers in a bucket of cold water hot end first
  • Never go near a firework once it has been lit, even if they don’t go off they can still explode

Parents should buy fireworks from a reputable shop to make sure that they conform to British Standards. They should have BS 7114 written on the box. Whatever you do, don’t buy fireworks from anywhere you’re not sure about, such as the back of a van, a market stall, or a pop up shop.

Firework safety

Translate »
%d bloggers like this: